News has been breaking by the minute this morning in the hunt for the suspects in the Boston Marathon bombing, so let’s bring you up to speed real quick (I’ll attempt to keep this as up-to-date as possible throughout the day):
- Thursday, 5:10pm. Investigators release photos and video of two suspects.
- Thursday, 10:20-10:30pm. Massachusetts Institute of Technology campus police respond to a disturbance on campus; shots fired; MIT officer shot, later pronounced dead.
- Thursday, 10:45ish. Two men, allegedly the at-large suspects, car jack a Mercedes SUV; a man who was in the vehicle, was held for about a half hour and was released by the armed carjackers.
- Thursday, 11:15ish-early Friday morning. Police begin to pursue the carjacked vehicle; explosive devices are thrown from the vehicle during the chase; carjackers and police exchange gunfire; transit police officer is seriously injured; one suspect, later identified as 26-year-old Tamerlan Tsarnaev, is critically injured, later pronounced dead at a local hospital; manhunt ensues for the at-large suspect, believed to be first suspect’s younger brother, 19-year-old Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev, who is considered “armed and extremely dangerous.”
- Friday, around 1am. Gunfire heard in Watertown, Mass., just outside of Boston.
- Friday, 4:30am. State and Boston police hold brief news conference asking people in the area to stay indoors; mass transit is suspended, offices, businesses, and schools closed; entire region on lockdown.
- Friday, 6:35-45am. Suspects identified publicly.
The suspects in the Boston Marathon bombing were identified to the Associated Press as coming from the Russian region near Chechnya, which has seen a dramatic increase in Islamic insurgency recently. Both men had been living in the United States for at least one year in Cambridge.
As pieces are beginning to be put together about the individuals, Deadspin was able to do a little digging and find some info on the dead brother, Tamerlan, mainly through photos in a gallery on Photo Shelter. A YouTube channel belonging to the deceased terrorist also turned up some disturbing videos.
Here’s what can be construed about this sick individual from the captions found in the gallery.
Tamerlan Tsarnaev practices boxing at the Wai Kru Mixed Martial Arts center.
Originally from Chechnya, but living in the United States from five years, Tamerlan says: “I don’t have a single American friend, I don’t understand them.”
Tamerlan … will represent New England in the heavyweight category at the National Golden Gloves competition in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Tamerlan, who studies at Bunker Hill Community College in Boston and wants to become an engineer, took the semester off from school to train for the competition.
If he wins enough fights there, Tamerlan says he could be selected for the US Olympic team and be naturalized American. Unless his native Chechnya becomes independent, Tamerlan says he would rather compete for the United States than for Russia.
Tamerlan fled Chechnya with his family because of the conflict in the early 90s, and lived for years in Kazakhstan before getting to the United States as a refugee.
Tamerlan says he loves the movie “Borat,” even though some of the jokes are a bit too much.
Tamerlan says he doesn’t usually take his shirt off so girls don’t get bad ideas: “I’m very religious.”
Tamerlan says he doesn’t drink or smoke anymore: “God said no alcohol.” A muslim, he says: “There are no values anymore,” and worries that “people can’t control themselves.”
It’s a shame police weren’t able to take this one in alive, but here’s hoping that they can safely capture the younger Tsarnaev and introduce him to the American justice system. Assholes.